The Facts of Alzheimer’s Disease
Posted on September 5, 2018
September is World Alzheimer’s Month, an annual event designed to focus the world’s spotlight on Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia. Alzheimer’s disease affects more than 5.7 million Americans; worldwide, Alzheimer’s and other related forms of dementia affect more than 44 million people. The organizers of World Alzheimer’s Month hope to increase awareness of the condition and reduce the stigma and myths associated with the disease. Park Avenue Stem Cell Center helps treat those living with Alzheimer’s disease using fat stem cell therapy.
The Facts About Alzheimer’s Disease
- Alzheimer’s disease is a form of dementia that causes the progressive loss of memory, as well as the loss of cognitive abilities.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States.
- The average age of diagnosis of the condition is 65.
- Five percent of those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease are diagnosed before the age 65. These cases are called “early-onset” cases.
- There are more than 3 million cases of Alzheimer’s disease diagnosed in the U.S. each year.
- Only one in four people living with Alzheimer’s disease has been diagnosed.
- Two-thirds of those diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease are women.
- The average life expectancy of people living with Alzheimer’s disease is eight years after diagnosis.
What Causes Alzheimer’s Disease?
The exact cause of Alzheimer’s disease is unknown, but some researchers have linked the condition to the development of brain plaques. These brain plaques cause inflammation of neurons and cause damage to the pathways of the brain that transmit signals.
What Are the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease?
Many people believe that Alzheimer’s disease is merely memory loss, but other signs of the condition include:
- Difficulty solving problems
- Problems concentrating
- Mood swings and irritability
- Personality changes and lack of self-control
- Visual hallucinations
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty walking
How Does Park Avenue Stem Cell Treat Alzheimer’s Disease?
Park Avenue Stem Cell helps patients living with Alzheimer’s disease by using stem cell therapy. Fat stem cell therapy can help reduce inflammation caused by brain plaques and generate new neural cells. Learn more about Park Avenue stem cell and our treatments for Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological conditions today by calling 888-386-4751.